The 2016 Mercedenz Benz GLC unveiled last week is a new way to enjoy a premium treat when it comes to SUV.
If you ask me, it is a mid-sized rival to the BMW X3 and Audi Q5 while it finds a good brother in the sporty GLC Coupe concept unveiled in Shanghai some months ago. It has come to replace the old GLK SUV making it a profitable segment of the chunky SUV segment. Below are some of the features of the 2016 GLC:
- It boasts some grown-up underpinnings of the new C-Class saloon.
- At 4.6m in length, 1.8m in width and 1.6m high, it is a C-Class saloon on stilts.
- It goes with the neat, sporty lines first shown on the GLC Coupe.
- It has four powertrains on launch – 168bhp and 201bhp versions of Merc’s four-pot 2.2-litre diesel (GLC 220d and GLC 250d), and a 208bhp 2.0-litre petrol in the GLC 250, good for a 0-62mph time of 7.3 seconds.
- The GLC also comes in the petrol-electric GLC 350e, which combines that same 2.0-litre petrol engine to an electric motor, for a combined 323bhp output and 413lb ft of torque. It will emit just 60g/km of CO2, but sprint to 62mph in 5.9 seconds.
- It is 80kg lighter than the old GLK as a result of an entirely new body and use of aluminium.
- All the GLC versions come with permanent ‘4MATIC’ four-wheel-drive and a basic torque split of 45:55 front/rear, and a nine-speed gearbox on everything bar the hybrid. It has just seven gears.
- It offers steel springs and active dampers as standard, or you can plump for full air suspension.
- If you truly want to show off your wealth, you can spec the ‘off-road’ pack, that means you can add five more programmes to the dynamic setup, including a slippery setting, one for incline, one for rocking assist and trailer.
- The seat comes in nappa leather.
- Other features of the interior include open-pore wood trim, an optional panoramic glass roof, and much digital integration.
- There is more space in-between the seats. The elbow, shoulder and leg room is good too.
- UK price is yet to be announced, but it’ll go on sale in Europe with a base price of €44,506 that is N9, 874,407.81